Dental Benefits Enrollees Validate Industry’s Support Programs During Pandemic
NADP Research Indicates Highest Customer Satisfaction Levels in Decades
National Association of Dental Plan members assisted both their enrollees and dentists during the pandemic through a variety of support programs, according to an informal 2021 Social Responsibility Poll conducted this spring. In addition, the 2021 NADP Consumer Survey reports a dramatic increase in customer satisfaction, indicating a favorable response to the measures taken by the dental benefits industry.
Support for Employers and Plan Enrollees
Dental plan poll participants indicated they provided millions of dollars to support employers and plan enrollees by offering:
- Rate renewal guarantees for new and existing customers
- Continued access to network and non-network providers for urgent care
- Increased annual maximum
- Annual maximum rollovers
- Waiving or reducing plan deductibles
- Waiving or relaxing pre-authorization requirements
- Extending plan end dates
- Waiving or extending frequency limitations
- Premium rebates or credits
- Assistance in finding a dentist
- Increased outbound call /email informational campaigns
- Expanded service hours to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Support for the provision of care through teledentistry
- Paid teledentistry claims at 100% of allowable charges
- Appropriate teledentistry procedures treated the same as in-person procedures
NADP has conducted a survey of Consumers since 2006. In the most recent survey, consumers gave dental plans the highest ratings on key satisfaction and loyalty metrics the industry has seen.
Support for Dentists
Likewise, the dental benefits industry also provided support to dentists during the pandemic through multiple methods, including:
- Continued capitation payments
- Uninterrupted claims processing and payments
- Financial assistance specifically for additional costs of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Low-to-no interest loans totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars
In addition, dental benefit plans provided community support through charitable contributions to food banks and other nonprofits and assistance in contact tracing.
The NADP Communications WorkGroup polled members this spring regarding industry support and charity programs launched during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. The above information indicates industry best practices to this unprecedented event.
National Association of Dental Plans (NADP), a Texas nonprofit corporation with headquarters in Dallas, is the representative and recognized resource of the dental benefits industry. NADP’s members provide Dental HMO, Dental PPO, Dental Indemnity and Discount Dental products to more than 200 million Americans.