Shared Research Program
2017 Employer Tracking Survey Prospectus
Since 2005, NADP has offered members access to our Shared Research program designed to pool member resources in order to conduct primary market research on a specific audience important to the dental benefits business. The program has evolved to essentially conducting periodic research on two audiences: consumers and employers. The Shared Research program has become a subscription based program for consumer and employer studies. In 2015 we began the annual tracking study with the consumer audience. The tracking program for employer audiences begins this year.
NADP’s Strategic Plan was updated in 2015 to include as one of the Key Objectives to, “Develop and make available key data, research and information on the dental industry and the dental marketplace.” Employer-based benefits make up the majority of all dental benefits in the U.S., therefore, conducting research to understand the motivations and behaviors of employers in the purchase of dental benefits is crucial to members’ understanding of the market.
Additionally, as part of the NADP mission to provide value to our membership and the dental benefits industry, we are issuing this call for sponsors of a primary research study addressing employer attitudes, expectations, and perceptions related to dental benefits, dental health, and the effects of health care reform on their dental benefit offerings.
The objectives of this study are as follows:
- Identify common attitudes, expectations and perceptions associated with the purchase of dental coverage.
- Track changes in those attitudes, expectations and perceptions, building on past efforts going back to 2013.
- Identify opportunities for dental plans to provide educational and other services to employers to aid in their purchase process.
- Additional objectives may be developed by the sponsor companies.
In order to track changes in attitudes, expectations and perceptions associated with the purchase of dental coverage and attitudes toward dental health, this effort will be set up to build upon a web-based tracking study initiated in 2013. NADP will survey up to 1,000 people responsible for determining employee benefits for their firm. The sample will be sufficiently diverse to compare responses
- By employer size (100 and fewer employees, over 100 employees).
- By region (Northeast, South, Midwest, West). Sample sizes may be sufficient to compare a few larger states such as California, Texas, and New York, as well.
Our goal is to field this survey in May 2017
This research will be wholly funded by participating sponsors. Each sponsor will contribute an equal share of the cost of the study, currently estimated at $5,000 with:
Non-members will be invited to sponsor, but will be subject to a 20% surcharge.
Each sponsor will receive a data file of the aggregate data for the current wave within one month of the completion of data collection.
Each sponsor will receive a Final Report and data file within one month upon completion of the data collection.
The final report will NOT be made available for purchase to NADP members, other stakeholders or the general public. The only access to the reports will be through participation as a sponsor of the program.
NADP will have all of the rights to the data and the report as any other sponsor.
Dental plans funding this study will receive the following benefits:
- Editorial participation on final content of the survey and reports
- Access to all data files
- Access to a final report that will NOT be available to NADP members or the general public.
- April 2017: Solicit sponsors.
- April 2017: Selection of research vendor, final study design, survey design.
- May 2017: Field survey
- June/July 2017: Release results to study sponsors.
Since study sponsors have editorial rights to the content and timing of the study, Objectives and Timeline are subject to change at their discretion.
For more information about this research project and how to participate, please contact Jerry Berggren, Director of Research and Information at 972-458-6998 x113 or by email to email@example.com. Commitments to participate must be made no later than July 31, 2017.